Getting back on track after the summer holidays

Health & Diet Tips

In this article we’ll focus on getting back on track after the summer hols. If you’ve developed some unhealthy eating habits over the last few months, here are four tips that will ease you back into a more healthy routine and have you back in control in no time.

1. Are you getting enough sleep? Often we return from holiday feeling more tired than when we left and if you’re jet lagged or experiencing back to work stress already, sleep patterns can be easily disrupted. This can leave you feeling tired and low so make sure you get eight hours every night.

2. Fill up on wholegrains and vegetables. Tiredness and stress often lead to snacking, usually on foods that give us a quick fix like coffee and sugar so keep blood sugar levels stable with wholegrains, vegetables, good fats and a variety of the best quality protein you can get your hands on including oily fish, organic meat, quinoa, eggs, grains and beans or tofu.

3. Make the most of the lovely autumn evenings by getting out and about. Maybe experiment with new forms of exercise that you haven’t tried before …book a new class at the gym, try some yoga or go for a walk …you’ll feel more energised than ever!

4. Audit your kitchen cupboards and the fridge! Don’t allow temptation to get in the way …instead stock up on nuts, seeds and fruits and veggies so when you fancy munching on something you’ll have something healthy to hand.

Don’t forget to anticipate the next milestone events too. Often holidays like Halloween and Christmas revolve around eating and drinking so plan them in advance so that your resolve stays strong. Don’t forget the 90/10 principle on these occasions too …it means you can be good for 90% of the time, which leaves the other 10% for naughtiness!

See, no guilt required! …just little gentle tweaks that integrate easily into your lifestyle that will help you optimise your health all-round.

Recipe idea

Butternut Squash Soup…

This lovely soup will fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied, plus the sweet flavour will naturally help crowd out sugar cravings.

Prep Time: Less than 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium squash, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large carrot, diced
1 stick celery, diced
1 tsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
2 pints stock of your choice
Ground black pepper, to taste
Mixed sunflower, flax and pumpkin seeds to garnish

Here’s what you do…

– Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion, celery and carrot and saute until they are just beginning to soften and the onion has turned translucent
– Add the squash and the tarragon
– Stir to combine with vegetables and then add the stock and seasoning to taste.
– Gently bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until the squash is tender, c20 minutes.
– Pour into a blender and liquidise until smooth
– Pour into bowls and sprinkle with the mixed seeds

Tip: This recipe freezes well, so it’s worth making a bigger pot than you’ll eat in a single meal and then you’ll have a second batch ready and waiting when you’re running around and there’s no time to cook something healthy!

Do take care when pouring hot liquids as if you’re splashed, they can burn quickly.

Nutritional Therapy, Kensington LondonAbout The AuthorSarah Lantry runs Attitude to Food, a Nutrition and Health Consultancy in Kensington, London. Sarah is a qualified Nutritional Therapist with clients across London and the Home Counties.

Find out more about Sarah’s work by visiting her GoToSee profile page here

Or

Contact sarah@attitudetofood.com to arrange a consultation. www.attitudetofood.com


Submit an Article Submit your article
Share

Related articles & videos





Do not copy from this page - plagiarism will be detected by Copyscape. If you want to use our content click here for syndication criteria